SR. SYSTEMS ENGINEER
Location: Washington D.C.
The Space Systems Development Department (SSDD) is the space and ground support systems research and development (R&D) organization of the Naval Center for Space Technology (NCST), an organization within the U.S. Naval Research Laboratory (NRL) in Washington, DC, which is the designated lead for Navy Space Program technology development and acquisition of space, aerospace and Command, Control, Communications, Computers, Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (C4ISR) systems to assist Naval Missions.
The mission of SSDD is to derive system requirements from mission requirements, develop architectures in response to the systems requirements, and design and develop systems, subsystems, equipment, and implementation technologies to achieve optimized, integrated operational space and ground systems.
SSDD is currently involved in the concept definition and design phases on various advanced concepts studies and projects, which will evolve into future space, aerospace and tactical C4ISR systems. Development responsibilities extend across the entire space/ground spectrum of hardware, software and advanced technologies including digital processing, as well as systems engineering.
Level 4- 10 years, Level 5 – 15 years
- Experience working on a team with other Systems Engineers analyzing user requirements,concept of operations documents, and high level system architectures to develop system requirements specifications, analyzing system requirements and leading design and development activities, guiding users in formulating requirements, advising alternative approaches, and conducting feasibility studies, providing technical leadership for the integration of requirements, design, and technology, incorporating new plans, designs and systems into ongoing operations, developing system architecture and system design documentation supporting complex Multi-INT processing, and guiding system development and implementation planning through preparation or assessment of systems engineering management, integration, and test plans.
- Bachelors or Advanced degree in Mathematics, Engineering, Computer Science, or another appropriate field
An active Secret clearance is required.
- Develop complete sets of architectural views enterprises in accordance with the common architecture frameworks (e.g. DoDAF and FEAF).
- Leverage strong business analysis skills and experience to develop business visions and strategies and perform functional decomposition, requirements capture, and process modeling.
- Develop/influence ‘system of systems’ architecture development, partitioning functionality across applications and components.
- Prepare detailed presentations/briefings to clearly explain the benefits of an architectural approach to clients and stakeholders.
- Coordinate the activities of others (internal staff, client staff, subcontractors, associates and staff from collaborating and/or competing suppliers) and manage stakeholder expectations and requirements.