Sr. Software Engineer – Combat Systems
PMAT Inc. is searching for Sr. Software Engineer to join our team of talented IT professionals in support of Surface Navy combat system programs.
AEGIS and Ship Self-Defense System (SSDS) Combat Systems
The Aegis and SSDS are the Navy’s two primary combat systems capable of over-the-horizon support and Battle Group defense. The Command & Control elements of Navy combat systems are open architecture software-intensive systems that integrate the available sensors, weapons, and networks on each platform and across a netted force, managing detect-through engagement capability for Air, Surface, Undersea, Strike, and Command and Control Warfare, including Naval Self-Defense, and support secondary mission areas, such as Mobility, Amphibious Warfare, and Fleet Support Operations (e.g., Search and Rescue).
PMAT is seeking a Software Engineer to be a key contributor in maintaining legacy combat readiness and producing world-class software. You will be a critical member of a highly experienced platform and framework engineering team partnering with designers, developers, and end users to deliver secure, high-performance, real-time, requirements driven software solutions
The right engineer has 5+ years’ experience developing real-time software, preferably with SSDS, Aegis, or similar experience. The right candidate is impact-focused, demonstrates strong leadership potential, and is passionate about ensuring development processes adhere to stringent company and customer guidelines.
• Develop bleeding edge software solutions employing modern DevSecOps tools and methodologies utilizing a SOA and microservices approach
• Develop low-latency, real-time software based on detailed specifications
• Understand the interface requirements between existing combat system software modules and new modules under development
• Develop test procedures and perform unit-level tests demonstrating that requirements have been met
• Integrate developed software modules with other combat system elements and perform integration tests
• Test, Analyze, and Fix software trouble reports from test results
• Review Specification Change Notices (SCNs) for new SSDS software for accuracy in reflecting interface requirements, compatibility with existing architecture and requirements, and clarity.
• Mentor engineers working adjacent software modules on the interface and run-time requirements of the modules you are developing (become an expert for that portion of the combat system)
• Prepare peer code reviews for developed software
• Work collaboratively with others to achieve goals, be a persistent, creative problem solver, and stay on the leading edge of development practices
• Bachelor’s degree in a technical discipline – Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, or equivalent technical degree, or the equivalent combination of education, professional training, and work experience.
• 5+ years of experience as a software developer
• Experience in surface Navy combat system development is desired
• Experience with Ship Self Defense System (SSDS) is desired
• Experience with object-oriented languages and application of S.O.L.I.D principles
• Experience collaborating with complex production systems
• Production-focused, results-oriented.
• Seeking leadership opportunities
• Understanding of software architecture, requirements driven design, and test/behavior-driven development
Highly desired experience:
• Experience working with remote infrastructures and technologies
• Experience with Continuous Integration/ Deployment (CI/CD) processes
• Experience working in an enterprise environment with agile software development methodologies
• Experience in SOA/microservice applications
• Experience with containerization
• Experience working in an agile environment
• Experience with some of the following, or similar, technologies and languages:
• C/C++, Java, Python, ADA, or other OO language
• cQL, SQL, DDL, DQL, DCL, and other data processing methods.
• REST systems and/or architecture; OpenAPI
• Docker, Kubernetes, Linux, Git, Artifactory
• JSON, XML, YAML Preferred
• US Citizenship required
• Ability to obtain a SECRET or higher security clearance