Location: Washington D.C.
The Space Systems Development Department (SSDD) is the space and ground support systems research and development (R&D) organization of the Naval Center for Space Technology (NCST), an organization within the U.S. Naval Research Laboratory (NRL) in Washington, DC, which is the designated lead for Navy Space Program technology development and acquisition of space, aerospace and Command, Control, Communications, Computers, Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (C4ISR) systems to assist Naval Missions.
The mission of SSDD is to derive system requirements from mission requirements, develop architectures in response to the systems requirements, and design and develop systems, subsystems, equipment, and implementation technologies to achieve optimized, integrated operational space and ground systems.
SSDD is currently involved in the concept definition and design phases on various advanced concepts studies and projects, which will evolve into future space, aerospace and tactical C4ISR systems. Development responsibilities extend across the entire space/ground spectrum of hardware, software and advanced technologies including digital processing, as well as systems engineering.
- Level 5 – 12 years
Experience implementing processes and establishing measures of success in meeting organizational objectives, performing a multitude of roles including but not limited to: recruiting, selecting, orienting, training, assigning, scheduling, coaching, and counseling employees; communicating job expectations; planning, monitoring, appraising, and reviewing job contributions; enforcing policies and procedures; achieving operational objectives by contributing information and recommendations to strategic plans and reviews; preparing and completing action plans; implementing production, productivity, quality, and customer-service standards; resolving problems; completing audits; identifying trends; determining system improvements; implementing change; meeting financial objectives by forecasting requirements; preparing annual budgets; scheduling expenditures; analyzing variances; and initiating corrective actions.
Education: Bachelors or Advanced degree in Mathematics, Engineering, Computer Science, or another appropriate field
An active Secret clearance is required.
- Develop program plans for the successful execution of new or existing technology development efforts. Ensure that adequate resources are available to complete the efforts.
- Develop Cost Work Breakdown Structures (CWBS), schedules, budgetary estimates for tracking the technical and financial performance of new or existing development efforts.
- Make or influence decisions regarding the design or reconfiguration of systems or subsystems after evaluating existing or proposed system requirements.
- Monitor the technical performance of ongoing activities and reassign or adjust resource priorities to ensure the timely completion of projects.
- Manage the efforts of the managerial, technical and administrative personnel assigned to complete various aspects of ongoing or new projects.
- Interact directly with the customer and maintain good relations with the customer as well as foster good inter-company relations where applicable.