Location: Washington D.C.
The Space Systems Development Department (SSDD) is the space and ground support systems research and development (R&D) organization of the Naval Center for Space Technology (NCST), an organization within the U.S. Naval Research Laboratory (NRL) in Washington, DC, which is the designated lead for Navy Space Program technology development and acquisition of space, aerospace and Command, Control, Communications, Computers, Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (C4ISR) systems to assist Naval Missions.
The mission of SSDD is to derive system requirements from mission requirements, develop architectures in response to the systems requirements, and design and develop systems, subsystems, equipment, and implementation technologies to achieve optimized, integrated operational space and ground systems.
SSDD is currently involved in the concept definition and design phases on various advanced concepts studies and projects, which will evolve into future space, aerospace and tactical C4ISR systems. Development responsibilities extend across the entire space/ground spectrum of hardware, software and advanced technologies including digital processing, as well as systems engineering.
Years of Experience Level 2-3 years; Level 4-10 Years; Level 5-15 years.
Experience applying software development methodologies and practices, including traditional structured programming as well as object oriented programming techniques and broad utilization of current software development tools within numerous environments. The work pertains primarily to planning, design, development, testing, installation, and maintenance of complex technical software systems. Additional related responsibilities include producing technical and user documentation, training and system orientation, and consulting with related development teams throughout the software development life cycle. This position encompasses all aspects of software development supporting complex Multi-INT processing from initial planning and design to final installation and maintenance. Furthermore, database engineers must possess the full spectrum of skills required for the development of software systems.
- Bachelors or advanced degree in Mathematics, Engineering, Computer Science, or another appropriate field.
An active Secret clearance is required.
- Enterprise computing and architecture design capability for ground-based analysis systems, to include system information modeling and database design.
- Incorporate system architecture using enterprise design, business process modeling (BPM), workflow implementation, and web-based/semantics-based development methodologies.
- Develop and implement databases to store raw data collection, Multi-INT fusion products necessary to support dissemination to the warfighter.
- Leverage knowledge of terrestrial and space surveillance methodologies, sensor technologies and capabilities, and ability to envision new modes of operation via an evolutionary development process.